Is AndroGel safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women?

AndroGel is a testosterone treatment for men, and it should not be used in women at all. If a pregnant woman comes into contact with AndroGel, even by touching the skin of a man who uses it, there is a risk that the male hormone testosterone could be passed to the fetus. This can harm the fetus. For example, a female could develop male genital characteristics (virilization). It is unclear how much testosterone can be passed to a baby through breast milk, but nursing mothers should avoid contact with AndroGel for the same reasons listed above. Testosterone can also cause problems with lactation.

Continue Learning about Androgen

How effective is testosterone replacement therapy for the treatment of ED?
Testosterone replacement therapy can improve sex drive and erectile function for some men with low t...
Can I trust testosterone replacement therapy from online sources?
Testosterone replacement therapy is offered at many websites online. An evaluation of 75 of these we...
What should I know before using testosterone replacement therapy?
Testosterone may cause enlargement of the prostate or make it worse. If you have impaired heart fun...
What is androgen suppression?
Androgen suppression is a treatment to suppress or block the production or action of male hormones. ...