Why does Zydone have a warning?

The warning on containers of the prescription pain reliever Zydone (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) is required by the Food and Drug Administration. The warning says: "Acetaminophen has been associated with cases of acute liver failure, at times resulting in liver transplant and death. Most of the cases of liver injury are associated with the use of acetaminophen at doses that exceed 4000 milligrams per day, and often involve more than one acetaminophen containing product."

Each Zydone tablet contains 400 milligrams, or one-tenth the amount described in the warning. To minimize your risk of liver damage while taking Zydone, do not take any other medication that contains acetaminophen. Read labels carefully; acetaminophen is contained in many over-the-counter products, including medications to treat colds, flu, headaches and menstrual symptoms. To protect your liver, you should also avoid alcohol while you're on Zydone.

Take Zydone exactly as your doctor tells you to. Do not take a higher dose or take it more frequently or for a longer period of time than your doctor recommends.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...