Why would my husband be taking more Demerol than his doctor told him to?

If your husband has been taking Demerol for a long time, he may have developed tolerance to this drug. That means that he may need to keep taking larger and larger doses to get the same pain relief from this medicine that he got when he first started taking it. Talk with your husband if you suspect that he is not taking his medicine exactly the way his doctor told him to take it. He should tell his doctor if the drug is no longer working well for him.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...