Who shouldn't take Vicodin?

You shouldn't take the prescription pain medication Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a narcotic (such as codeine, morphine and oxycodone).

If you have a history of liver disease, you should use Vicodin with extreme caution. Because it contains acetaminophen, Vicodin comes with a black box warning about potential liver failure and death. People with a history of liver disease are at greater risk for this complication. Give your doctor a complete medical history before you start taking Vicodin so he or she is aware of any past or current medical conditions that could increase your risk of side effects.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...