Who should not take Magnacet?

You should not take the prescription pain medication Magnacet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) if any of the following applies to you:
  • You're allergic to oxycodone, acetaminophen or any other ingredient in Magnacet.
  • You have a respiratory problem, such as acute or severe bronchial asthma or hypercarbia (too much carbon dioxide in your blood). Because Magnacet lowers your breathing rate, it can severely interfere with your ability to breathe if you have one of these conditions.
  • You have -- or may have -- a condition called paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowel obstruction that prevents digested food from passing through the intestines. Because Magnacet tends to slow the muscle contractions in your digestive tract, it can worsen this condition.
  • You're pregnant or breastfeeding. If you take Magnacet while you're pregnant, your baby may be dependent on the drug at birth and experience severe withdrawal symptoms. If you take Magnacet while breastfeeding, the drug will pass into your breast milk. It can make your baby drowsy and also interfere with his or her breathing.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...