Who should not take Magnacet?

You should not take the prescription pain medication Magnacet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) if any of the following applies to you:
  • You're allergic to oxycodone, acetaminophen or any other ingredient in Magnacet.
  • You have a respiratory problem, such as acute or severe bronchial asthma or hypercarbia (too much carbon dioxide in your blood). Because Magnacet lowers your breathing rate, it can severely interfere with your ability to breathe if you have one of these conditions.
  • You have -- or may have -- a condition called paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowel obstruction that prevents digested food from passing through the intestines. Because Magnacet tends to slow the muscle contractions in your digestive tract, it can worsen this condition.
  • You're pregnant or breastfeeding. If you take Magnacet while you're pregnant, your baby may be dependent on the drug at birth and experience severe withdrawal symptoms. If you take Magnacet while breastfeeding, the drug will pass into your breast milk. It can make your baby drowsy and also interfere with his or her breathing.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...