Who should not take Synalgos-DC?

You should not take Synalgos-DC (dihydrocodeine, aspirin, caffeine) if you are allergic to or can't tolerate dihydrocodeine, aspirin or caffeine, the active ingredients in Synalgos-DC, or other opioid medications or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

Also, if you've taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (a type of drug most often used to treat depression) within the past 14 days, you should not take Synalgos-DC. Women who are breastfeeding should not take this prescription pain medication. Women who are pregnant or plan to become pregnant should not take Synalgos-DC, unless the need outweighs the risks. This drug is not approved for children 12 and under. It should especially never be given to children following surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids, because there is a risk of severe respiratory depression or even death. 

In addition, if you have porphyria, a stomach ulcer or a bleeding or blood clotting disorder, you should not take Synalgos-DC. Other conditions that may affect whether this drug is okay for you include:
  • alcohol or drug problems
  • asthma or other breathing problems
  • enlarged prostate or narrow urethra
  • thyroid disorder
  • liver, kidney or gallbladder disease
  • seizures or epilepsy
  • a head injury, brain tumor or any other condition that caused increased pressure inside your skull
  • Addison's disease

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...