Who should not take Fioricet with Codeine?

You should not take the ingredients in Fioricet with Codeine (butalbital, acetaminophen, caffeine and codeine) if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as breathing difficulties, addiction, withdrawal or life-threatening side effects could result. Also, avoid this medication if you are allergic to any of its components. Inform your doctor before taking this medication if you have asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or sleep apnea; liver cirrhosis or liver or kidney disease; a history of head injury or brain tumor; low blood pressure; a stomach or intestinal disorder; curvature of the spine; mental illness; or a history of drug or alcohol addiction. If you drink alcohol, you may have to quit before taking Fioricet with Codeine (butalbital, acetaminophen, caffeine and codeine). Codeine products should not be given to children for pain relief after surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
More Answers
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
More Answers
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
More Answers
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.