When can I stop taking Magnacet?

You may be able to stop taking the prescription pain medication Magnacet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) if you're no longer suffering moderate to moderately severe pain or if you've developed side effects that become problematic. However, if you've been taking Magnacet for a few weeks or more, don't stop taking it before talking with your doctor. Because Magnacet contains the narcotic drug oxycodone, your body can become dependent on it; stopping suddenly could make you experience withdrawal symptoms. Talk with your doctor about gradually decreasing your dose.

You should also talk to your doctor if you're considering stopping Magnacet because it's no longer helping you. Over time, your body can become used to Magnacet and require more of it to control the same level of pain, so you may need a higher dose -- or a different drug. But don't increase your dose without checking with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...