When should I call my doctor if I am taking Xodol?

If you are taking the prescription pain medication Xodol (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), you should call your doctor for the following reasons:
  • Xodol isn't working as well as it did at first and you are wondering if you should take more. You may be developing a tolerance to Xodol, causing the pain-relieving benefit of the drug to be less intense or not as long-lasting. Do not take a higher dose or take the drug more frequently, because that can lead to a dangerous or even deadly overdose. Instead, call your doctor -- he or she may want to reduce your dose of Xodol slowly in order to switch you to another kind of medication.
  • You think you may have taken too much Xodol. Serious side effects and even death may result from Xodol overdoses. Do not wait to see if you develop symptoms -- call your doctor right away. 
  • You are considering taking another medication in addition to Xodol. Many other medications can interact with Xodol, potentially intensifying the effects of both drugs and raising your risk for side effects. Before you start Xodol, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements. Once you start taking Xodol, do not take any new medication without checking with your doctor and/or pharmacist first. 
  • Another doctor has diagnosed you with a medical problem. Before taking Xodol, give your doctor a detailed medical history, including current and past health problems. Be especially careful to mention problems with your liver, kidneys, thyroid, heart or lungs. Keep your doctor updated on all changes in your medical status while you are taking Xodol. 
  • You have just found out you are pregnant. Xodol may harm a developing fetus or cause problems at birth if taken during pregnancy. 
  • You need to schedule surgery, including dental surgery.
You should also call your doctor if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, especially if they are severe or persistent:
  • light-headedness
  • dizziness
  • nausea and/or vomiting
  • constipation
  • sleepiness and/or lethargy
  • mental health symptoms such as cloudy thinking, anxiety, fear, feeling uneasy or unwell
  • trouble urinating or urinating completely
  • skin rash or itching

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...