When should I call my doctor if I am taking Vicodin?

There are a number of situations that warrant calling your doctor if you're taking the prescription pain medication Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen). You should call your doctor or seek emergency help if your breathing becomes slow or irregular or your chest feels tight. Do the same if any of the following side effects become severe:
  • rash or itching
  • nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite
  • constipation
  • dry mouth
  • light-headedness or dizziness
  • drowsiness
  • itching
  • weakness
  • mood changes such as feeling unusually happy or sad
  • fuzzy thinking
  • anxiety
  • dry throat
  • difficulty urinating
You should also call your doctor if Vicodin isn't controlling your pain. You may need a higher dose, but it isn't safe for you to take more on your own. You should also check in with your doctor before starting another medication (prescription or over-the-counter) or herbal supplement while you're taking Vicodin. He or she will make sure that the two are safe to take together.

If you've been taking Vicodin for several weeks or more, don't stop using it without talking with your doctor first. He or she may gradually lower your dose so that you don't experience withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...