When should I call my doctor if I am taking Norco?

If you are taking Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), a prescription medication for moderate to moderately severe pain, you should call your doctor if you experience certain side effects that could be serious or fatal. In particular, you or someone who is with you should seek emergency medical attention if you have any symptoms of an overdose, such as:
  • difficult or slowed breathing
  • extreme drowsiness
  • chest tightness
  • coma
  • loose, floppy muscles
  • cold, clammy skin
  • fainting/unconsciousness
  • too slow heartbeat
  • vomiting
You should also call your doctor right away if you have any symptoms of a severe allergic reaction such as:
  • hives
  • difficulty breathing
  • rash
  • swelling of the face, throat or mouth
In addition, you should call your doctor if any of these side effects are severe or don't go away:
  • lightheadedness, dizziness, weakness
  • headache
  • mood changes, confusion, agitation
  • nausea, constipation, vomiting
  • trouble urinating
  • vision or hearing issues
  • itching or rash
  • seizures
You should call your doctor right away if you become pregnant while taking Norco.

If you want or need to take a new medicine or supplement while taking Norco, talk with your doctor first. Certain medications and supplements may interact with Norco and cause serious side effects. Don't quit taking Norco without talking to your doctor first; stopping the drug suddenly may cause withdrawal symptoms.

You should call your doctor if your dose of Norco is not helping relieve your moderate to moderately severe pain or you find you have to take more than eight tablets a day. You may need to adjust your dose of Norco or try another pain medicine.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...