What are possible side effects of Vicodin?

The prescription pain medication Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) has side effects that are similar to those of other medications containing narcotic pain relievers and acetaminophen. Among the most serious is difficulty breathing. Call your doctor or seek emergency help if it is difficult to breathe or your breathing slows down, your chest doesn’t move much when you breathe, your chest feels tight or if your heartbeat seems too fast or slow.

Because Vicodin contains acetaminophen, using too much of it, or taking it with another medication that includes acetaminophen, can cause serious side effects, including liver failure and coma. You shouldn't take more than 4,000 mg of acetaminophen a day. Check drug labels (they sometimes refer to acetaminophen as "APAP") or, if necessary, ask your doctor or pharmacist to help you calculate how much acetaminophen you're receiving if you use Vicodin along with another acetaminophen-containing drug. If you do take too much acetaminophen, seek medical help immediately, even if you feel fine.

The following side effects are not considered serious unless they are extreme, in which case you should also call your doctor:
  • rash or itching
  • nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite
  • constipation
  • dry mouth
  • light-headedness or dizziness
  • drowsiness
  • itching
  • weakness
  • mood changes such as feeling unusually happy or sad
  • fuzzy thinking
  • anxiety
  • dry throat
  • difficulty urinating
  • narrowed pupils (black circles in the center of the eyes)

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...