What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is used post-operative, followed by Tylenol #3. Muscle relaxants such as flexeril may also be very useful. Ask your surgeon for his or her specific drug of choice for pain control. Toradol may be used for orthopedic surgical cases and bony reconstruction.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Analgesics, including aspirin and acetaminophen, are medications used to treat pain. They can al...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...