What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is used post-operative, followed by Tylenol #3. Muscle relaxants such as flexeril may also be very useful. Ask your surgeon for his or her specific drug of choice for pain control. Toradol may be used for orthopedic surgical cases and bony reconstruction.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...