What should I know about Xodol before taking it?

Before taking Xodol (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), you should know why the drug is being prescribed for you and what you can expect from taking it. Doctors prescribe Xodol for moderate to moderately severe pain -- it's an oral tablet that combines a strong narcotic pain reliever (hydrocodone) and a milder medication to reduce fever (acetaminophen).

You should also know that Xodol can interact with other medications, possibly causing serious side effects. Before you start Xodol, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements. Once you're on Xodol, do not take any new medicine or supplement without checking with your doctor and/or pharmacist first.

You should take Xodol exactly as your doctor tells you to. Do not take more than prescribed or take it more often or for a longer period of time than recommended by your doctor. Xodol contains a narcotic that can be habit-forming, and large doses can cause serious, even deadly, side effects.

Xodol may not be safe to take if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, if you have certain medical conditions (especially liver, kidney, lung or heart disease or problems with your thyroid gland or adrenal gland). Make sure to give your doctor a detailed medical history before you take Xodol and keep your doctor updated on any changes in your health.

You should know which side effects should trigger a call to your doctor. Tell your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms, especially if they are severe or persistent:
  • light-headedness
  • dizziness 
  • nausea and/or vomiting
  • constipation
  • sleepiness and/or lethargy
  • mental health symptoms such as cloudy thinking, anxiety, fear, feeling uneasy or unwell
  • trouble urinating or urinating completely
  • skin rash or itching
  • slowed breathing

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...