What should I know about Tylox before taking it?

Oxycodone, one of the two drugs that make up Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone), is an opioid, or narcotic, pain reliever that can lead to addiction or abuse—especially in patients who have a history of drug or alcohol addiction or abuse. If you have such a history, make sure your doctor knows before you begin taking Tylox; it may be that another pain medication is safer for you.

Over time, it's possible to become dependent on opioids such as oxycodone, which means that your body will need increasingly higher doses of the drug in order to get the same degree of pain relief. For this reason, stopping the drug abruptly can bring on unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Don't stop taking Tylox without checking with your doctor first to make sure it is indeed time for you to go off the drug. If so, he or she will taper down your dose gradually to prevent withdrawal.

While you're on Tylox, your doctor will monitor you carefully to keep an eye out for signs of addiction or dependency. He or she will also want to watch closely for side effects. You should be aware of possible side effects from Tylox, and call your doctor right away if you develop any that are problematic or don't go away or could potentially cause serious harm. Common side effects of Tylox include drowsiness, constipation, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and shallow breathing.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...