What should I know about hydrocodone and acetaminophen HP tablets?

You should know that taking hydrocodone-acetaminophen HP tablets in excess can lead to mental and physical addiction. Also, the longer you take the drug, the more likely you are to build up a tolerance to it, meaning that the previously prescribed dosage will no longer be as effective as it was at first. The brand name of this combination is Vicodin HP. Before starting the medication tell your doctor if you have a history of breathing disorders, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), liver or kidney disease, low blood pressure, disorders of the stomach or intestine, thyroid or adrenal gland disorders or curvature of the spine. Your doctor should also know if you have a history of alcoholism, substance abuse, seizures, head or brain injuries or psychiatric problems. Elderly people, people with lung conditions and those with poor health in general should use hydrocodone-acetaminophen HP tablets with caution, since it can slow breathing. Never take more than four grams of the acetaminophen component if a day.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...