What should I know about Zydone before taking it?

Before taking Zydone (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), you should know why your doctor is prescribing the drug for you and what you can expect from taking it. Zydone is a drug prescribed to relieve moderate to moderately severe pain. It contains two painkilling ingredients: hydrocodone, a narcotic (opiate), and acetaminophen, a pain reliever and fever reducer.

Most prescriptions for Zydone recommend taking one tablet every four to six hours as needed for pain. You should take Zydone exactly as your doctor tells you to. Do not take a larger dose, take it more frequently or take it for a longer period of time than your doctor prescribes. Zydone can be habit-forming, and overdoses are possible and can cause serious side effects and even death. If you accidentally take too much Zydone, call your doctor or 911 immediately; don't wait to develop symptoms.

Before you start taking Zydone, give your doctor a detailed medical history, including current and past health conditions. Be especially careful to mention any problems with your lungs, heart, kidneys, liver, thyroid gland or adrenal gland and any allergic reactions to Zydone, acetaminophen, hydrocodone or any opiate drug. Also be sure to give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements. Once you're on Zydone, do not drink alcohol or take any other drug that contains acetaminophen. Doing either could increase your risk of liver damage and other problems.

Before you take Zydone, you should know that it is not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding and that it has not been proven to be safe and effective in children.

Zydone can cause side effects. Call your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms, especially if they are severe or persistent:
  • light-headedness
  • dizziness
  • nausea and/or vomiting
  • constipation
  • sleepiness and/or lethargy
  • mental health symptoms such as cloudy thinking, anxiety, fear, feeling uneasy or unwell
  • trouble urinating or urinating completely
  • skin rash or itching
Call your doctor immediately if you experience:
  • breathing problems
  • chest tightness

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...