What should I know about Lortab before taking it?

Before you take the prescription pain medication Lortab (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), you should know that it is a controlled substance with the potential for abuse and dependence. It's important to take it at the dose your doctor prescribes—don't take more of it or take it for longer than your doctor prescribes. Taking too much can cause serious problems, including slowed breathing or even coma or death.

You should know that Lortab can interact with a number of other medications. Before you start taking it, tell your doctor about all your other medicines, whether prescription or over-the-counter, as well as any supplements or vitamins that you take. You should also be aware that you may have a greater risk for side effects from Lortab if you have certain medical conditions. Be sure to give your doctor a complete medical history before you start taking it.

You should not drink alcohol while taking Lortab, because the combination raises your risk for serious side effects. Lortab can make you drowsy, so you should not drive or operate machinery until you know how it affects you.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...