What should I know about Lortab before taking it?

Before you take the prescription pain medication Lortab (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), you should know that it is a controlled substance with the potential for abuse and dependence. It's important to take it at the dose your doctor prescribes—don't take more of it or take it for longer than your doctor prescribes. Taking too much can cause serious problems, including slowed breathing or even coma or death.

You should know that Lortab can interact with a number of other medications. Before you start taking it, tell your doctor about all your other medicines, whether prescription or over-the-counter, as well as any supplements or vitamins that you take. You should also be aware that you may have a greater risk for side effects from Lortab if you have certain medical conditions. Be sure to give your doctor a complete medical history before you start taking it.

You should not drink alcohol while taking Lortab, because the combination raises your risk for serious side effects. Lortab can make you drowsy, so you should not drive or operate machinery until you know how it affects you.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...