What is Demerol?

Demerol is a narcotic pain reliever, or analgesic. It is a brand name version of the generic drug meperidine. It can be prescribed in a tablet, liquid or in a solution for injection. The dosage will depend on the severity of your pain but generally ranges from 50 mg. to 150 mg. every three to four hours as necessary. Demerol works by suppressing the part of your brain that perceives pain. It can be addictive and should be used with caution. Demerol has been known to produce several side effects and interacts with many other medications. It should only be taken as prescribed by your doctor.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Analgesics, including aspirin and acetaminophen, are medications used to treat pain. They can al...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...