What is Demerol?

Demerol is a narcotic pain reliever, or analgesic. It is a brand name version of the generic drug meperidine. It can be prescribed in a tablet, liquid or in a solution for injection. The dosage will depend on the severity of your pain but generally ranges from 50 mg. to 150 mg. every three to four hours as necessary. Demerol works by suppressing the part of your brain that perceives pain. It can be addictive and should be used with caution. Demerol has been known to produce several side effects and interacts with many other medications. It should only be taken as prescribed by your doctor.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...