What is dehydrated alcohol?

Dehydrated alcohol, the prescription injection of at least 98 percent ethyl alcohol or ethanol, is used to relieve the symptoms of chronic pain. It is injected into nerve tissues or the spinal subarachnoid spaces. Certain cancers and trigeminal neuralgia may be treated with dehydrated alcohol. It is usually used when surgery is not available. Pain relief for trigeminal neuralgia is only temporary. A lower alcohol concentration - approximately 40 percent to 50 percent - may be used to help cerebral palsy, spastic paraplegia and intractable pruritus ani.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...