What is aspirin and codeine?

Aspirin and codeine is a combination of two drugs that was previously available by prescription for pain relief. Aspirin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug and fever reducer and codeine is a narcotic pain reliever that can be habit-forming. Together, they form a narcotic analgesic combination. Previously available under the brand name Empirin with Codeine, the combination of aspirin and codeine has been discontinued and is no longer available for use in the United States.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...