Can Norco interact with other medications or foods?

The pain medication Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) can interact with other medications, especially those that affect the central nervous system or cause sleepiness—such as other opioid pain medicines, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety drugs, antihistamines, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers or sedatives, barbiturates or antipsychotics. Such drugs may increase the serious side effects of Norco, including slowed heart rate and breathing, and could even lead to coma or death. The same holds true of alcohol, so don't drink while taking Norco. Otherwise you can continue your usual diet; Norco isn't known to interact with foods.

In addition, taking Norco with a tricyclic antidepressant or antidepressant that is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) type may lead to serious side effects. Let your doctor know about all other prescription and over-the-counter drugs you are taking, including vitamins and the herbal supplements kava kava, valerian, St. John's wort and SAMe.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...