Can Ultracet interact with food or other medications?

The prescription pain medication Ultracet (tramadol and acetaminophen) can interact with a number of other drugs. Taking Ultracet with other drugs that depress the central nervous system, such as narcotics, tranquilizers and sedative hypnotics, can increase the risk of respiratory depression, in which breathing can become dangerously slow and shallow. If you're on Ultracet, you should be cautious about using these drugs. (For the same reason, you should not drink alcohol while you're on Ultracet.)

Ultracet also can interact with medications for depression, migraines, seizures, fungal infections and some heart conditions, as well as the herbal medication St. John's wort. Some of these drugs can increase your blood level of tramadol, raising the risk of serious side effects; others can reduce tramadol's effect, which can interfere with pain relief.

Before you start taking Ultracet, tell your doctor about all your other medications (prescription or over-the-counter) as well as any supplements you take. While you're taking Ultracet, do not start any other drug or supplement without first talking to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...