What should I avoid while taking Tylox?

While taking Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone), a drug prescribed to treat moderate to moderately severe pain, you should not drink alcohol, eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice. Doing any of these could exaggerate the depressive effects of Tylox on your central nervous system and put you at risk for breathing problems and a dangerously slow heart rate; it could even lead to coma or death. Because Tylox can make you drowsy, you shouldn't drive, operate machinery or do anything that requires you to be fully alert until you know how the drug affects you.

Because it's not known if Tylox is excreted in breast milk, it's safest to stop nursing if you begin taking the drug (or to have your doctor prescribe another pain reliever so that you can continue to breastfeed).

Tylox combined with certain other medications can have serious side effects. Make sure your doctor knows about all drugs you take, including over-the-counter products and supplements, before you begin taking Tylox so that he or she can check for any potentially problematic interactions.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...