What should I avoid while taking Magnacet?

If you're taking the prescription pain medication Magnacet (oxycodone and acetaminophen), you should avoid the following:
  • other medications that contain acetaminophen. Getting too much acetaminophen can cause serious side effects, including liver failure, coma and death. You should not take more than 4,000 milligrams (mg) daily. If necessary, ask your doctor or pharmacist to help you calculate how much acetaminophen you're taking if you use Magnacet along with another drug that contains it.
  • drinking alcohol. Drinking can increase the medication's potency and cause severe side effects or even death. 
  • breastfeeding. Both oxycodone and acetaminophen pass into breast milk and may cause harm to a nursing baby.
Finally, because Magnacet can make you drowsy, don't drive or operate heavy machinery until you're certain you can remain alert while on it. Be extra cautious when you start the medication or increase your dosage.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
More Answers
Who should not take analgesics?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
More Answers
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
More Answers
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.