What should I avoid while taking Demerol?

While you're taking Demerol (meperidine), you should not drive or operate heavy machinery, or do anything that requires you to be fully alert. This drug affects the central nervous system and may affect your mental and/or physical ability. Steer clear of alcohol and don't take other central nervous system depressants, or you run the risk of serious side effects. Drugs you should not take along with Demerol include:
  • sedatives and hypnotics
  • general anesthetics
  • phenothiazines
  • other tranquilizers
It's also important to avoid using Demerol if you're taking an antidepressant that's a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) or if you've taken one in the past 14 days. Tell your doctor about all medications and supplements you take, including over-the-counter drugs, before you start using Demerol, so that he or she can check for potential interactions that could be dangerous.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Analgesics, including aspirin and acetaminophen, are medications used to treat pain. They can al...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...