What should I avoid while taking Demerol?

While you're taking Demerol (meperidine), you should not drive or operate heavy machinery, or do anything that requires you to be fully alert. This drug affects the central nervous system and may affect your mental and/or physical ability. Steer clear of alcohol and don't take other central nervous system depressants, or you run the risk of serious side effects. Drugs you should not take along with Demerol include:
  • sedatives and hypnotics
  • general anesthetics
  • phenothiazines
  • other tranquilizers
It's also important to avoid using Demerol if you're taking an antidepressant that's a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) or if you've taken one in the past 14 days. Tell your doctor about all medications and supplements you take, including over-the-counter drugs, before you start using Demerol, so that he or she can check for potential interactions that could be dangerous.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...