What should I avoid while taking Tylenol with Codeine?

While you're taking Tylenol with Codeine (acetaminophen and codeine), you should avoid driving or operating machinery until you know how it affects you because this prescription pain reliever can affect your mental and physical abilities. You should avoid drinking alcohol or taking other central nervous system depressants, such as tranquilizers or sedatives, while you're on Tylenol with Codeine. In combination, they can increase your risk for serious side effects, including drowsiness, slowed breathing and loss of consciousness.

You should also avoid taking too much acetaminophen while you're on this drug because excessive amounts may cause liver damage. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends taking no more than 4,000 milligrams (mg) of acetaminophen a day. Keep in mind that many over-the-counter cold and flu medicines contain acetaminophen, as do assorted other remedies—read labels. It's best to avoid taking anything else that contains acetaminophen while you're on Tylenol with Codeine.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...