What should I know about Hydrocodone/APAP before taking it?

You should know that taking hydrocodone-APAP (APAP is an abreviation for acetaminophen) in excess can lead to mental and physical addiction. Also, the longer you take the drug the more likely you are to build up a tolerance to it; meaning that the previously prescribed dose will no longer be as effective as it was at first. Before starting the medication tell your doctor if you have a history of liver or kidney problems, an underactive thyroid gland, Addison's disease, an enlarged prostate or narrowing of the urethra. Your doctor should also know if you have a history of alcoholism, substance abuse, seizures, head or brain injuries or psychiatric problems. Elderly people, people with lung conditions and those with poor health in general should use hydrocodone-acetaminophen with caution, since it can slow breathing. It can also cause problems diagnosing and treating certain abdominal disorders. Never take more than four grams of the acetaminophen component in a day.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Analgesics, including aspirin and acetaminophen, are medications used to treat pain. They can al...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...