How do trolamine salicylate and methyl salicylate differ?

Both trolamine salicylate and methyl salicylate are found in over-the-counter analgesic creams. Trolamine salicylate is the active ingredient in Aspercreme, Myoflex and others. Methyl salicylate is found in Menthoderm, Thera-Gesic Plus and others. Both drugs can temporarily ease minor pain. Trolamine salicylate is typically used for joint or muscle pain. Methyl salicylate is typically used to alleviate arthritis and back pain, as well as bruises that have not broken the skin, sprains and strains.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...