What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?

Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person taking these drugs for the first time may experience nausea, itchiness, and sedation. These side effects can be amplified for older people. No one should drive or perform dangerous physical activity under the influence of opioid analgesics. If the sedation effect is overwhelming, stimulants may be prescribed to compensate. Many people believe that opioid analgesics are dangerously addictive. However, this risk is probably overstated; most patients without a history of substance abuse can safely take this medication.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...