What are the risks of taking magnesium salicylate tetrahydrate?

Risks of taking magnesium salicylate tetrahydrate include harm to your fetus if you are pregnant, possible harm to your nursing baby if you are breastfeeding, interference with blood clotting, and low blood sugar if you are diabetic or receiving hemodialysis. You may need to closely monitor your blood sugar levels while taking this drug. This drug should not be used if you are pregnant. This drug is similar to aspirin, which may raise the risk of a stillbirth or death soon after birth. This drug could also cause pregnancy to extend or it could lengthen the labor process. Using this drug in the last trimester of a pregnancy can cause fatal lung damage to a fetus. Breastfeeding women should only use this medicine with caution or only with the consent of your doctor as it can be passed to a nursing baby through breast milk. It is possible that use of magnesium salicylate tetrahydrate can impede blood clotting or lead to unusual bleeding. Prior to use, tell your doctor if you have problems with blood clotting, plan to have surgery, have ulcers or gastritis, or have a vitamin K deficiency. Also tell your doctor if you have any liver problems. While using this drug, let your doctor know if you experience nosebleeds, dark urine, blood in your stool, or bleeding gums. If you will be having surgery or medical tests, tell your doctor or dentist beforehand; you may need to stop use of this drug for several days ahead of time.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...