If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Demerol?

Experts don't know if it's safe to take Demerol (meperidine) during pregnancy, so you should try to avoid taking it, especially before you go into labor. This drug, which is prescribed for moderate to severe short-term pain, hasn't been studied in pregnant women. Before you start taking Demerol, tell your doctor if you're pregnant or plan to become pregnant.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Analgesics, including aspirin and acetaminophen, are medications used to treat pain. They can al...