What should I know about hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen tablets?

Taking Vicodin HP tablets - hydrocodone bitartrate and acetaminophen - in excess can lead to mental and physical addiction. Also, the longer you take the drug, the more likely you are to build up a tolerance to it, meaning that the previously prescribed dosage will no longer be as effective as it was at first. Before starting the medication tell your doctor if you have a history of breathing disorders such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), liver or kidney disease, low blood pressure, disorders of the stomach or intestine, thyroid or adrenal gland disorders, or curvature of the spine. Your doctor should also know if you have a history of alcoholism, substance abuse, seizures, head or brain injuries, or psychiatric problems. Elderly people, people with lung conditions, and those with poor health in general should use Vicodin HP tablets with caution, since it can slow breathing.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...