What should I know about pentazocine and acetaminophen before taking it?

Before you take pentazocine and acetaminophen, you should know that if you are allergic to sulfites, you may have an allergic reaction to this drug. If you are allergic to pentazocine and acetaminophen or any of its ingredients, you should not take this medication. You also should not take it if you are addicted to opiates or are taking GHB (sodium oxybate) or if you have serious health problems involving your bowels. Drug abuse, pregnancy, stomach problems, allergies, asthma, recent head injuries or tumors in the brain, liver or kidney problems, porphyria (a genetic problem affecting your skin or nervous system), thyroid problems, a heart condition, a seizure disorder, prostate problems, mental or mood disorders or a history of suicidal thoughts may be complicated by taking pentazocine and acetaminophen, so discuss your medical history with your doctor before you begin taking the drug.

While taking the pentazocine and acetaminophen, you could become tired or dizzy, so be careful about driving or doing other dangerous activities. Acetaminophen and pentazocine can cause overdose if you take it with other medications that also contain acetaminophen, so you should carefully read labels when taking over-the-counter medications with this drug. Pentazocine and acetaminophen strengthen the effects of certain medications and alcohol, so you should avoid alcohol and drugs that cause tiredness when taking it. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your doctor before taking this drug. You also should know that this drug increases your risk for seizures, and may become habit-forming and cause withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it too quickly.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...