What should I know about oxycodone and acetaminophen before taking it?

Oxycodone can be addictive and is a drug that can be abused. Physical dependence can be taken care of by discontinuing the medication gradually. Acetaminophen in high doses can damage your liver, so never take more than the prescribed amount.

If you are allergic to this medication, you should not take it. Tell your doctor about all the medications you are taking, as many are not compatible with oxycodone. You should not drink alcohol while taking oxycodone and acetaminophen. Tell your doctor if you usually have more than three alcoholic drinks per day. Do not operate machinery or drive an automobile while taking this medication because it can impair your thinking and judgment.

Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had, cirrhosis of the liver, kidney disease, any kind of breathing disorder, a seizure disorder, brain tumor or head injury, any intestinal or pancreatic disorder, any stomach disorder, low blood pressure, an adrenal gland disorder, an underactive thyroid, a mental condition, a curved spine, an enlarged prostate, urination problems or any history of drug abuse.

Narcotics can cause you to become constipated, so ask your doctor for a stool softener if you need it while using oxycodone and acetaminophen. A healthy diet with plenty of fiber and lots of water will help keep you regular. If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding, you should speak with your doctor before taking oxycodone and acetaminophen.

Overdose symptoms may include extreme drowsiness, pinpoint pupils, nausea, vomiting, dark urine, jaundice (yellow skin or eyes), confusion, cold and clammy skin, muscle weakness, fainting, weak pulse, coma, blue lips, shallow breathing or no breathing. If you feel you or someone else has taken too much oxycodone and acetaminophen, call 911 to get emergency help immediately, as this can be fatal. Store this medication at room temperature and keep it away from heat and moisture.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...