What should I know for hydrocodone-acetaminophen oral solution?

You should know that taking hydrocodone-acetaminophen oral solution in excess can lead to mental and physical addiction. Also, the longer you take the drug the more likely you are to build up a tolerance to it, meaning that the previously prescribed dosage will no longer be as effective as it was at first. Before starting the medication, tell your doctor if you have a history of liver or kidney problems, an underactive thyroid gland, Addison's disease, an enlarged prostate or narrowing of the urethra. Your doctor should also know if you have a history of alcoholism, substance abuse, seizures, head or brain injuries or psychiatric problems. Elderly people, people with lung conditions and those with poor health in general should use hydrocodone-acetaminophen with caution, since it can slow breathing. It can also cause problems diagnosing and treating certain abdominal disorders. When taken as an oral solution, the dose should be carefully measured with a medicine spoon or oral syringe. Do not use a common tablespoon, as this is not precise enough.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...