What should I know about diflunisal before taking it?

Diflunisal can cause stomach bleeding and ulcers, and this risk is higher for people over age 65. You may not want to take diflunisal if you have liver, heart or kidney disease, as it may increase your risk for heart attack or stroke and may reduce your blood's ability to clot. Diflunisal may trigger serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis. Call 911 for signs of an allergic reaction including difficulty breathing, swelling of the lips, mouth and tongue.  

When diflunisal is taken with certain other medications, dosages of one or the other may need to be adjusted. You should never take diflunisal with ketorolac or pentoxifylline. Talk to your doctor before using it with acetaminophen (Tylenol), aspirin, anticoagulants, cyclosporine, antacids, hydrochlorothiazide, sulindac and other NSAIDs. Diflunisal may cause Reye's syndrome, a rare but serious illness occurring in children and teens. Diflunisal should not be taken by anyone with a viral infection or chicken pox. Diflunisal may harm an unborn child and should be avoided during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...