Is it true that my son shouldn't stop Demerol "cold turkey"?

It's true that your son should not stop taking his Demerol suddenly, that is, "cold turkey." If he does this, he may have unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal, including:

•  trouble sleeping
•  irritability
•  anxiety
•  fast heart beat
•  chills
•  sweating

Talk with your son's doctor and he may be able to help him slowly take less and less of the drug to avoid these symptoms.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...