Is it true that my son shouldn't stop Demerol "cold turkey"?

It's true that your son should not stop taking his Demerol suddenly, that is, "cold turkey." If he does this, he may have unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal, including:

•  trouble sleeping
•  irritability
•  anxiety
•  fast heart beat
•  chills
•  sweating

Talk with your son's doctor and he may be able to help him slowly take less and less of the drug to avoid these symptoms.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...