Is meperidine safe for older adults?

Meperidine may not be safe for older adults. Because older adults process meperidine more slowly than younger people, they are at risk of more dangerous side effects. If meperidine is needed by an older adult, the dose may need to be lower. If you are age 65 or older, discuss with your doctor the risks and benefits of taking meperidine.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...