If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Xodol?

If you are pregnant, you should not take the prescription pain medication Xodol (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) unless your doctor determines that the benefits to you outweigh potential risks to your developing fetus. There are no good studies examining the safety of Xodol during pregnancy, but one reason for caution is that it contains hydrocodone, an opioid pain reliever that can be addictive. Doctors know that if a woman takes an opioid during pregnancy, her baby can be born addicted to the drug. As the baby goes through withdrawal, symptoms can include tremors, excessive crying, fast breathing, hyperactive reflexes and other problems.

If you become pregnant while taking Xodol, call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...