If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Magnacet?

You shouldn't take the prescription pain medication Magnacet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) if you're pregnant unless you and your doctor decide its benefits outweigh its risks. Studies haven't been done indicating that it's safe for the developing fetus, and there are reasons for concern. Opioids, like the drug oxycodone in Magnacet, are known to cross the placenta and can interfere with respiration. As a result, your baby could be born with breathing problems. He may also be dependent on the drug at birth and experience severe withdrawal symptoms. Let your doctor know you're pregnant before you start Magnacet or if you become pregnant while taking it.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...