If I am pregnant, is it safe to take Percocet?

If you're pregnant, you should take the pain medication Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) only if your doctor decides the benefits to you outweigh the risks. No studies have been done to show that Percocet is safe for a developing fetus. However, it is known that opioids such as the drug oxycodone in Percocet cross the placenta and can interfere with respiration. As a result, a baby exposed to Percocet in the womb could be born with breathing problems. She may also be dependent on the drug and experience severe withdrawal symptoms. Let your doctor know you're pregnant before taking Percocet or if you become pregnant while taking it.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...