What are hydrocodone and acetaminophen tablets?

The hydrocodone-acetaminophen tablet is a combination of two pain relievers: hydrocodone, a narcotic, and acetaminophen, a non-narcotic. It is prescribed as a short-term treatment for mild to severe pain and coughing. Because of the way hydrocodone works on the brain, it can both relieve pain and suppress coughing. It is prescribed under the brand names Vicodin, Lortab, Lorcet and Norco. It may be prescribed as a tablet or oral solution. When prescribed as a tablet, you generally will not exceed five to 12 tablets a day in dosage. Never take more than four grams of the acetaminophen component in a day.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...