How can I minimize the side effects of Ultracet?

The best way to minimize the side effects of the prescription pain medication Ultracet (tramadol and acetaminophen) is to take it exactly as your doctor prescribes -- do not take more of it, or take it more often, than directed. Ultracet is a prescription drug that contains a combination of an opioid drug (tramadol) and the common painkiller acetaminophen. Both these drugs are dangerous in excess. Because many over-the-counter medications contain acetaminophen, read labels carefully; you should not take Ultracet with other products that contain either tramadol or acetaminophen.

Ultracet can interact with a number of drugs, so before you start taking it, let your doctor know about all your other medications (prescription and over-the-counter) as well as any supplements you take. Give your doctor a complete medical history, too, because some medical conditions increase your risk of side effects from Ultracet.

Do not drink alcohol while you're taking Ultracet, because the combination can increase your risk of side effects.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...