How can I minimize the side effects of Tylox?

Your doctor will take the first steps to minimize potential side effects from the pain medication Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) by prescribing the smallest dose possible that will relieve your pain. Follow his or her instructions for taking Tylox to the letter—don't take more of it, or take it more often, than you're prescribed. Don't stop taking Tylox without talking to your doctor first; over time your body can become dependent on this drug, which is used to treat moderate to moderately severe pain on an as-needed basis, so going off it abruptly can bring unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal.

Certain common side effects of Tylox, such as drowsiness and nausea, often go away on their own after a few days. If they don't, call your doctor. To cope with constipation, which can occur with many pain relief medications, try drinking plenty of water, adding more fiber to your diet in the form of whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables, getting more exercise and talking to your doctor about using a laxative or a stool softener.

If you feel dizzy after sitting up or standing, another common side effect of Tylox, try getting up slowly and resting your feet on the floor for a moment or two before you stand up all the way.

Combined with certain other medications, Tylox can have serious side effects. Make sure your doctor knows about all other drugs you take, including over-the-counter products and supplements, so that he or she can make sure you aren't on something that will interact with Tylox. Mixing alcohol with Tylox can be dangerous; ask your doctor if you can safely drink while you're on Tylox.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...