How can I minimize the side effects of Percocet?

You can minimize or even avoid side effects from the pain medication Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) by taking it exactly as your doctor prescribes. Don't take more of it, or take it more often, than you're instructed. If you've been on Percocet for more than a few weeks, do not stop taking it abruptly or you could experience withdrawal symptoms. When it's time for you quit taking Percocet, your doctor will help you taper down your dose slowly.

A common side effect of Percocet is feeling dizzy or lightheaded when you get up from sitting or lying down. You can minimize this side effect by getting up slowly. Before you stand up all the way, sit with your feet on the floor for a few minutes.

If constipation is a problem while you're taking Percocet, it can help to eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, drink plenty of water, and exercise. You can also ask your doctor about taking a laxative and/or stool softener.

If you have any side effects that bother you or that don't go away, talk to your doctor about ways to deal with them.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...