How can I minimize the side effects of Percocet?

You can minimize or even avoid side effects from the pain medication Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) by taking it exactly as your doctor prescribes. Don't take more of it, or take it more often, than you're instructed. If you've been on Percocet for more than a few weeks, do not stop taking it abruptly or you could experience withdrawal symptoms. When it's time for you quit taking Percocet, your doctor will help you taper down your dose slowly.

A common side effect of Percocet is feeling dizzy or lightheaded when you get up from sitting or lying down. You can minimize this side effect by getting up slowly. Before you stand up all the way, sit with your feet on the floor for a few minutes.

If constipation is a problem while you're taking Percocet, it can help to eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, drink plenty of water, and exercise. You can also ask your doctor about taking a laxative and/or stool softener.

If you have any side effects that bother you or that don't go away, talk to your doctor about ways to deal with them.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...