How can I minimize the side effects of Magnacet?

You can reduce the side effects of the prescription pain medication Magnacet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) by using it exactly as your doctor prescribes. Don't take more of it, or take it more often, than recommended.

If Magnacet makes you dizzy or lightheaded when you get up after sitting or lying down, change your position slowly. Rest your feet on the floor for a few minutes before standing.

If constipation is a problem, dietary changes might help. Eating more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, particularly bran, may make it easier to move your bowels. You can also ask your doctor about taking a laxative and/or stool softener.

While taking Magnacet, do not start any new medicine or supplement without talking to your doctor first. This will reduce the risk of a dangerous drug interaction.

Make sure you are not taking another product containing acetaminophen while you're on Magnacet. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has added a boxed warning to all prescription medicines that contain acetaminophen, noting the potential risk for liver damage. To reduce this risk, the FDA recommends using no more than one product containing acetaminophen at a time and taking no more than 4,000 milligrams (mg) of acetaminophen a day.

You should avoid alcohol while taking Magnacet. Drinking can increase Magnacet's potency and cause severe side effects, even death. The combination also increases the risk of liver injury.

Talk to your doctor about any side effects that are bothersome or don't go away. If you're ready to stop taking Magnacet, talk to your doctor first: If you've been using this drug for more than a few weeks, stopping suddenly can cause withdrawal symptoms. Instead, talk with your doctor about slowly tapering your dose over a couple of weeks.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...