How can I minimize the side effects of Tylenol with Codeine?

To minimize the side effects of Tylenol with Codeine (acetaminophen and codeine), take it exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take it more than directed or take it more often or for a longer time. To lower the risk of side effects, your doctor may start you on a low dose of this drug, increasing it if needed. Do not increase the dose on your own.

You may be able to minimize some common side effects—such as drowsiness, light-headedness, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea and vomiting—by lying down. If any of these side effects are bothersome or severe, or if they don't go away, call your doctor. If you experience difficulty breathing or unusual changes in mood, call your doctor immediately.

Because Tylenol with Codeine may interact with some drugs, you can lower your risk for side effects by telling your doctor about all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary supplements. Do not take any new ones without talking to your doctor first. Drinking alcohol also raises your risk, so avoid it to keep yourself safe.

Taking too much acetaminophen may cause liver damage. To reduce this risk, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends taking no more than one acetaminophen-containing product per day and limiting your intake of acetaminophen to 4,000 milligrams (mg) a day.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...