How can I minimize the side effects of Synalgos-DC?

You can minimize the side effects of the pain medication Synalgos-DC (dihydrocodeine, aspirin, caffeine) by taking it exactly as your doctor prescribes. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than recommended. Do not stop taking Synalgos-DC without talking to your doctor first. Stopping the medicine suddenly can cause withdrawal symptoms. You should not drink alcohol or take other medications that depress the central nervous system, such as sleep aids or tranquilizers, while you are taking this pain medication because it can increase the risk of serious side effects.

To help reduce constipation, a common side effect, talk to your doctor about taking stool softeners and/or laxatives. Drink plenty of fluids and try to eat foods high in fiber such as whole grains, bran, fruits and vegetables. Regular exercise can also help.

Tell your doctor about all prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, supplements and herbal products that you take and don't begin taking anything new without first running it by your doctor to avoid a possible interaction between Synalgos-DC and the new medication. Certain health problems can increase the risk for side effects, so give your doctor a complete medical history before taking Synalgos-DC. Pay attention to how you feel while you're on Synalgos-DC and let your doctor know if you develop any side effects that bother you or won't go away. Your doctor may adjust the dose of your medication to help relieve side effects.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...