How effective is capsaicin?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neuropathic (nerve) pain. Studies of the prescription capsaicin patch have shown it to provide very effective pain relief, but only to a limited number of people who use it. It also may improve sleep, fatigue, and depression for those who get pain relief from it. Studies included people with nerve pain related to shingles or HIV infection. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...